Marathon Training Plan
The Marathon is the ultimate road race. And the Marathon training journey is the ultimate running experience.
You’ll gain the endurance you need through weekly long runs and recovery runs. And you’ll work on becoming a more efficient runner through a large selection of Speed Runs. Most importantly you’ll be a smarter runner ready to take that ultimate starting line.
Nearly all of the 90 runs in this training plan have an accompanying Guided Run in the Nike Run Club App. This plan was designed around an 18-week schedule, and our Guided Runs are built to adapt to your experience level and intended to be uniquely flexible to your needs as you prepare to tackle a Marathon. Whether you’re twelve or eighteen weeks from race day, you can jump into this program whenever it suits you.
You are in control of what you put into the program and therefore what you get out of it. Our recommendation: Plan on training for at least 12 weeks before the marathon so you can comfortably run and complete the programmed workouts.
We’ll meet you on the starting line!
Get Started With Coach Bennett
The fundamental goal of marathon training is being able to cover the distance. And not just make it to the finish line, but make it to the finish line as best as you can.”
Nike Running Global Head Coach
Here’s a sample of what your training will look like for the first two weeks of the plan. Download the plan to see what’s in store for the remaining 16 weeks.
18 Weeks to Go
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Ten Minute Run or RECOVERY RUN: 10:00
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: First Speed Run or SPEED RUN: Intervals / 5:00 Warm Up / 8 x 1:00 5K Pace / 1:00 recovery between intervals
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Two Mile Run OR RECOVERY RUN: 3.2K / 2 Mile Run
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: 7 Minute Run or RECOVERY RUN: 7:00
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Five Mile Run or LONG RUN: 8K / 5 Mile Run
17 Weeks to Go
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: 12 Minute Run or RECOVERY RUN: 12:00
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: 5K Run or RECOVERY RUN: 5K / 3.1 Mile Run
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Next Speed Run or SPEED RUN: Intervals / 5:00: Warm Up / 1:00: 5K Pace / 2:00: 10K Pace / 1:00: 5K Pace / 2 x 0:45 Mile Pace / 2:00: 10K Pace / 1:00: 5K Pace / 0:45 Mile Pace / 0:30 Best Pace / 0:15 Best Pace / 1:00 recovery between all intervals
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: One Mile Run or RECOVERY RUN: 1.6K / 1 Mile Run
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: 10K Run or LONG RUN: 10K / 6.2 Mile Run