HOW DO I CLEAN MY SHOES?
To ensure peak performance of your shoes over time, we recommend proper care and maintenance, including cleaning. You can keep your sneakers fresh with a few easy cleaning steps:
- Dry brush. Remove dirt from the outsole, midsole, and uppers using a dry, soft-bristled shoe brush. No shoe brush? No problem—an older toothbrush will work just fine.
- Make a mild cleaning solution. Mix warm water with a small amount of laundry detergent.
- Wash laces. Remove the laces and apply a small amount of the mild cleaning solution. Massage the laces, rinse, then dry with a soft cloth.
- Wash soles. Apply the mild solution to a soft-bristled brush and brush the outsole and midsole. Dry with a soft cloth.
- Wash and blot. Use the mild solution and a soft-bristled brush or a soft cloth to clean the uppers. Then use a dry microfiber towel or soft cloth to blot and lift as much soapy moisture and dirt as possible. Repeat if necessary.
- Air dry. Air dry at room temperature.
We don’t recommend putting your shoes in a washing machine or dryer or using harsh cleaning products (like bleach). And for best results, clean your sneakers as soon as they get dirty. Then lace up and get back out there.
How do I clean my insoles? How do I reduce shoe odor?
From time to time, it may also be necessary to clean your insoles. To do so, remove the insoles and use the same cleaning steps for the outside of your shoes. And be sure to air dry them completely before putting them back in your shoes. If odor persists, you may want to replace the insoles. Replacement insoles are available at most sporting goods and shoe stores.
Does Nike make waterproof shoes?
Yes, we offer a range of water-resistant shoes and apparel because we know weather can’t keep you from training.
What if my shoes are still dirty after cleaning?
If you’ve followed and repeated the cleaning steps above, perhaps your shoes have simply endured too many trips up the court, cuts across the field, or laps around the track. Maybe it’s time for a fresh pair of sneakers to bring a new dimension to your incessant pursuit of improvement.