WHAT GEAR IS BEST FOR RAIN?
With the right layers and breathability, you can stay dry through a steady drizzle, a cold (wet) spell, even a downpour. We design clothing (and shoes) to make getting outside a little easier—everything from sweating through a run or playing 18 holes to braving the soggy sidelines of a soccer game.
Rain protection varies from water-repellent to water-resistant to waterproof:
- Water-repellent gear repels water from the fabric’s surface but isn’t designed to keep you dry for extended periods.
- Water-resistant gear is just that—it resists water penetration, though there are limits to the amount of water and length of exposure it can withstand.
- Waterproof gear is your tried-and-true-stay-dry-in-any-weather gear. Waterproof items generally have sealed seems and specific zippers to prevent water from seeping in.
Water-resistant products are ideal if you plan to break a sweat in moderate rain, because most water-resistant technology allows internal moisture to escape while still offering rain protection—and breathability is key for sweating in the rain. While fully waterproof gear keeps you dry, it’s more difficult to ventilate, so look for features like zippered underarms.
Here’s our best rain jackets and gear for men and women, sorted by the weather they’ll help you battle. We’ve noted which are water-resistant or waterproof; which are lightweight; which are designed for warmth; the sport they’re designed for; and the features that set them apart. We’ve also included our best sportswear to keep you dry when the sky is spilling.
This gear is lightweight and water-resistant. It’s designed to keep you active and help you stay dry in wet weather.
- Nike Shield Men’s Running Jacket and Nike Shield Women’s Running Jacket: Wind- and water-resistant with zippered pockets. The men’s jacket has a mesh underarm lining for breathability and a brimmed hood. The women’s jacket has an adjustable hood that packs into a pocket at the collar and covered back vents for breathability.
- Nike Shield Phenom Men’s Running Pants: Pants made for wet, windy miles with sweat-wicking technology and Nike Shield fabric to resist the elements. There’s even an interior vapor barrier to keep the zippered back pocket dry.
- Nike Shield Women’s Running Pants: Pants designed to battle the rain with a medium-weight knit fabric that tapers toward the ankle to keep wind out, plus zippered hand pockets and reflective details.
- Nike Shield Men’s Golf Jacket: Lightweight, water-resistant, and packable, so you can bring it with you when there’s a threat of rain. The optional hood rolls into the collar, and embroidered eyelets underarm allow ventilation.
- Nike SB Shield Skate Jacket: Wind- and water-resistant skate jacket with a drawcord hem. This lightweight jacket is easy to pack and easy to carry if the weather lightens up.
Clockwise from top left: Nike Shield Men’s Running Jacket and Nike Shield Women’s Running Jacket, Nike Shield Phenom Men’s Running Pants and Nike Shield Women’s Running Pants, Nike Shield Men’s Golf Jacket, and Nike SB Shield Skate Jacket.
COLD (WET) SPELL
This gear puts Nike Aerolayer, Nike AeroShield, or Nike Therma to good use to keep you warm (and dry) even when the weather’s not.
- Nike AeroLayer Men’s Running Jacket and Nike AeroLayer Women’s Running Jacket: This jacket has a breathable inner lining and stretch fabric on the side panels and underarms to add mobility. It’s designed to trap heat, limit bulk/weight, and increase warmth all while you take on cold, wind, and rain.
- Nike AeroShield Women’s Running Jacket: AeroShield technology lets internal moisture escape without letting rain in. Sealed seams, zippered pockets, and a (removable) hood provide serious rain protection without stiffness.
- Nike Therma Repel Men’s Running Tights: Warm, water-resistant tights with zippered hems, a zippered pocket, and stretch fabric for easy movement. Use it as a base or outer layer.
- Nike AeroShield Men’s Golf Pants: Pairs a waterproof layer with ventilation zones to keep you dry and comfortable. The loose fit and zippered hems are designed to easily layer over other clothing for on-the-spot rain protection. For added warmth, wear over a warm base layer.
Clockwise from top left: Nike AeroLayer Men’s Running Jacket and Nike AeroLayer Women’s Running Jacket, Nike AeroShield Women’s Running Jacket, Nike Therma Repel Men’s Running Tights, and Nike AeroShield Men’s Golf Pants.
This gear is waterproof. So play in the rain. Splash around. You’ll stay dry.
- Nike HyperShield Men’s Convertible Golf Jacket: Sealed closure seams block water while a mesh lining adds breathability. The full-length sleeves zip off leaving short sleeves for warmer weather.
- Nike HyperShield Men’s Golf Pants: Tackle wet courses with these seam-sealed pants. The Nike HyperShield technology blocks both wind and rain.
- NikeLab ACG GORE-TEX Men’s Jacket and NikeLab ACG GORE-TEX Women’s Jacket: Built for unpredictable weather, you can detach the hood and adjust the fit with waist drawcords and a two-way front zipper. And when the skies clear, use the interior straps to carry the jacket when you don’t need to wear it.
- Nike ACG GORE-TEX Jacket: Unisex three-layer GORE-TEX with a storm guard front zipper and zippered pockets. Adjustable hem drawcord and underarm zippers let you control ventilation.
Clockwise from top left: Nike HyperShield Men’s Convertible Golf Jacket, Nike HyperShield Men’s Golf Pants, NikeLab ACG GORE-TEX Men’s Jacket and NikeLab ACG GORE-TEX Women’s Jacket, Nike ACG GORE-TEX Jacket.
DESIGN AND MATERIALS
Here’s a few key innovations we use for weather protection:
- ACG: All Conditions Gear to get you outside in, well, all conditions. This Nike collection is designed to keep you active in all climates.
- Nike AeroLayer: Designed for warmth without weight, it’s a layer of lightweight insulation sandwiched between a water-resistant shell and a breathable mesh lining.
- Nike AeroShield: Technology that pairs a waterproof layer with strategic ventilation zones for a soft, breathable barrier against the elements.
- Nike HyperShield: Lightweight, breathable fabric that blocks wind and rain, making most items water-resistant or waterproof.
- Nike Shield: Fabric with weather protection properties against wind and rain, making most items water-resistant.
- Nike Therma: Fabric designed to let small amounts of body heat escape without letting cold air in, so you stay warm without overheating.
And don’t forget—we make great shoes for the rain, too.