10K Training Plan
The 10K is one of the most popular distances to race in the world.
The training calls for a combination of speed and endurance. That means you'll get to run Long Runs that challenge you. And you'll run Speed Runs that excite you. And you'll run Recovery Runs that make you stronger. Then you'll be ready to cross the starting line and run for the finish line.
Every training run in this plan has an accompanying Guided Run that you can find in the Nike Run Club App. This plan was designed around an 8-week schedule, and Guided Runs were built to adapt to your experience level and intended to be uniquely flexible to your needs. Whether you're four or eight weeks from race day, you can jump into this programme whenever it suits you.
You are in control of what you put into the programme and therefore what you get out of it. Our recommendation: Plan on training for at least 4 weeks before the 10K so you can comfortably run and complete the programmed workouts.
We'll meet you on the starting line!
Get Started With Coach Bennett
Part of the reason why the 10K is an awesome event is asking you to have a good amount of speed and a good amount of endurance.
Chris Bennett Nike Running Global Head Coach
Learn the Running Workouts
Here's a sample of what your training will look like for the first two weeks of the plan. Download the plan to see what's in store for the remaining 6 weeks.
8 Weeks To Go
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Two-Mile Run or RECOVERY RUN: 3.2K/2-Mile Run
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: First Speed Run or SPEED RUN: Intervals/8 x 1:00 5K Pace/1:00 recovery between all intervals
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Easy Run or RECOVERY RUN: 25:00
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Next Speed Run or SPEED RUN: Intervals/5:00 Warm-Up/1:00 5K Pace/2:00 10K Pace/1:00 5K Pace/2 x 0:45 Mile Pace/2:00 10K Pace/1:00 5K Pace/0:45 Mile Pace/0:30 Best Pace/0:15 Best Pace/1:00 recovery between all intervals
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: 5K Run or LONG RUN: 5K/3.1-Mile Run
7 Weeks To Go
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Stress-Free Run with Headspace or RECOVERY RUN: 25:00
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Deuces or SPEED RUN: Intervals/5:00 Warm-Up/10 x 2:00 5K Pace/1:00 recovery after all intervals except #4 and #8/2:00 recovery after intervals #4 and #8
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: 15-Minute Run or RECOVERY RUN: 15:00
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: In Control or SPEED RUN: Intervals/6:00 Warm-Up/1:00 Mile Pace/3:00 5K Pace/5:00 10K Pace/7:00 Recovery Run Pace/0:30 recovery after Mile Pace/1:30 recovery after 5K Pace/2:30 recovery after 10K Pace
- Nike Run Club Guided Run: Another 5K Run or LONG RUN: 5K/3.1-Mile Run