The Best Nike Shoes to Wear Hiking
Gear up with the best hiking shoes Nike has to offer—from lightweight trail-running shoes to footwear that can withstand just about any type of weather.
Regardless of the trail, when you're shopping for hiking shoes, start by considering the terrain and intensity of the hikes you have planned.
If you tend to stick to well-maintained trails, a lightweight option like high-performance, trail-running shoes might be the best style. Alternatively, if you're summiting mountains and encountering all kinds of rocks, tree roots and shrubbery, you may need a sturdier hiking boot. If you like to mix it up, consider Nike All Conditions Gear (ACG) footwear that can be worn in the city or on an outdoor adventure.
Nike offers a range of footwear options for different types of hikers (and hikes). Read on to find the best pair for you.
The Best Hiking Shoes From Nike
1. Best Nike Hiking Shoes for Versatility: Nike All Conditions Gear (ACG)
The Nike ACG motto is, "Designed, tested, and made on planet Earth. For outdoor use". This collection of apparel, footwear and accessories is made to inspire your next hiking or camping adventure. From slipper-like sneakers to waterproof mountain shoes, there's a style for everyone—and every trail.
- The Nike ACG Air Mada is an all-round hiking shoe, great for day hikes, with large lugs on the outsoles that provide traction on a range of surfaces.
- For more ankle coverage, consider the Nike ACG Air Mowabb. These shoes provide Air cushioning underfoot, supportive Huarache technology around the heel and soft nubuck leather in the upper for added durability.
- The Nike ACG GORE-TEX "Mountain Fly" is a waterproof style with tough rubber soles that provide grip and prevent slipping.
- For a casual hike, try the Nike ACG Moc 3.5 SE, a comfortable, slipper-like shoe with a stretchy heel that allows you to pull them on and off easily. Despite their plush foam cushioning, these shoes don't sacrifice traction. The soles have rubber on the heel and tip to help your feet grip different surfaces.
2. Best Nike Hiking Shoes for Lightweight Performance: Nike Trail-Running Shoes
Nike trail-running shoes are designed to be lightweight and durable, ready to help you take on miles on the trail without extra bulk. All Nike trail shoes have grippy treads on the soles to support hiking or trail running in all kinds of conditions.
- Supportive and springy, the Nike React Pegasus Trail shoe provides stability and comfort in all kinds of terrain. The midfoot support helps keep feet stable, and the underfoot traction helps avoid slipping on rocks, mud or tree roots.
- The Nike Pegasus Trail GORE-TEX is a water-resistant version of the classic Pegasus trail shoe, with GORE-TEX technology that keeps water from getting inside.
- The Nike Wildhorse is rugged and durable, with high-abrasion rubber and lugs on the outsole that add multi-directional traction. Nike React foam cushioning offers a soft, smooth ride, and extra cushioning around the heel helps keep your foot snug. Plus, the gaiter collar around the ankle helps keep dirt and debris out.
(Related: The Best Nike Trail-Running Shoes)
3. Best Nike Hiking Shoes for Rugged Terrain: Nike Special Field Boot
The Nike Special Field Boot (SFB) collection honours Nike co-founder Bill Bowerman and his service in World War II. Upon returning from the war, Bowerman began creating high-performance footwear for the University of Oregon track-and-field athletes he coached. Inspired by Bowerman's commitment to sport, the SFB collection is dedicated to athletic performance.
- Created for high performance and durability, the Nike React SFB Carbon Low is built to be reliable and comfortable for long or intense hikes. These shoes contain a full-length carbon plate for stability in each step, as well as a thick tread for confident navigation of any kind of terrain. For more ankle coverage, there's a high-top version.
- Constructed with full-grain leather and nylon canvas, the lightweight Nike SFB B1 boot is made for speed and flexibility over rough terrain. The flexible sole features sticky rubber for multi-surface grip, and Nike Air cushioning in the heel provides comfort for long journeys. The lacing system provides stability and a locked-in feel.
- The Nike SFB Field 2 20cm (approx.) comes in several styles and materials, including synthetic leather and nylon canvas, full-grain leather or waterproof GORE-TEX. If you're looking for substantial ankle and calf coverage, these are for you.
Words by Claire Tak