7 Winter Clothing Staples for Kids
Outfit babies, toddlers and kids in cosy, durable, insulating gear by Nike.
Despite frigid temperatures, children are often ready to play with friends or head to training. But as any parent or caregiver can attest, icy fingers and toes can quickly cut that fun short.
The solution: winter clothes for kids that are insulating, durable and ultra-cosy. From jackets and vests to protective boots and gloves, read on for the top winter gear by Nike.
(Related: The Best Nike Hoodies and Sweatshirts for Toddlers)
The Best Nike Kids' Winter Clothes and Gear
1. Cold-weather Jackets and Gilets
When it comes to winter clothing, a warm jacket or gilet is essential for kids. Shop these cold-weather jackets and gilets for the kid in your life:
- Puffer Jackets: With lightweight synthetic insulation and a fluffy inner fleece lining on most varieties, a cold-weather puffer jacket is engineered for mega comfort. Many puffer jackets also have oversized hoods and water-resistant outers, keeping kids dry.
- Windbreakers: Help little ones stay shielded from strong gusts with a cold-weather windbreaker. These garments are designed to keep inclement weather out, with many windbreakers featuring a water-repellent finish and adjustable hoods, wrists and waists.
- Fleece Jackets: In addition to being incredibly soft, many Nike fleece jackets use Therma-FIT technology that helps retain and recirculate the body's heat.
2. Cold-weather Hoodies and Sweatshirts
Nike hoodies and sweatshirts for kids are ideal to layer beneath large coats—or above thin layers—for optimal protection in cool temperatures.
Many cold-weather hoodies and sweatshirts for kids integrate special technology to improve insulation. This includes materials like Polartec® fleece, which is a plush fabric designed to hold in warm air while letting moisture escape to keep individuals dry.
3. Cold-weather Trousers and Tights
An insulating bottom layer can make a world of difference when it comes to comfort on chilly days. Shop from a wide range of styles, fabrics and textures to suit a kid's personal style and coverage needs, including a Nike classic: Nike Sportswear Club and Tech Fleece tracksuit bottoms.
These semi-fitted trousers are woven with ultra-soft fleece material and are roomy enough to layer over compression tights or leggings. Some cold-weather trousers for kids are also water-resistant for braving the snow or rain en route to school or during training.
4. For Babies: Jumpsuits and Snowsuits
For babies, Nike offers a selection of jumpsuits and snowsuits with varying levels of coverage. Some of these include puffer snowsuits that contain synthetic-fill insulation, while others are woven with warm, cosy fleece fabric that keeps little ones comfortable when temperatures drop.
Keep their ears and head covered—while allowing kids to showcase a unique, sporty style—with the selection of Nike beanies for kids. Available in sizes for babies, toddlers and older kids, each beanie provides cosy warmth.
6. Gloves and Mittens
Whether they need a grip-enhancing pair of gloves for the playground or mittens that keep fingers ultra-cosy while playing in the snow, Nike provides a selection of cold-weather gloves and mittens for kids that provide ample insulation.
7. Cold-weather Boots
The right cold-weather boot for kids will feature ample traction on the outsole and waterproof protection on the upper to shield feet from moisture. The kids' winter boots from Nike excel on both fronts, especially on models like the Nike Air Max Goaterra.
Available in baby, toddler and child sizes, these boots integrate classic Nike Air technology (which adds extra spring in the step) while keeping feet dry and protected.
Words by Julia Sullivan