Travel around the world, follow the best surfers, visit the best waves, surf media's a rough gig, but somebody has to do it.
But cracking into the business isn't always the easiest thing. As with any career, there are dues to be paid. But Nike Surfing and Surfing Magazine have teamed up to offer an express pass to becoming a crack surf journalist, photographer or filmmaker. Introducing the Baby Cobras contest:
The Baby Cobras is a competition for creative surfers that aspire to work at a magazine, make a movie, or get those dream surf shots. How does it work? Tell a story about your home break through words, photos or video. It’s as simple as that!
Baby Cobras works like this:
• Click the link http://www.surfingmagazine.com/babycobras
• Enter your story about your home break in your medium of choice
◦ Video: Upload video that’s under 3 minutes
◦ Photos: Create a photo series of between 5 and 10 photos
◦ Writing: Upload a piece that’s between 100 and 1,000 words
• Deadline for submission is: September 23, 2012
• Between September 24 and October 8 your entries will be judged by the public. Top five entries in each category, plus one wildcard will make it to the finals
• If you make it to the finals, you’ll have an opportunity to edit your submission and reenter by October 15
• We pick three winners, one from each category
• Please read the fine print: You have to be between the ages of 18 and 27, live in the USA and not work for any other surf media
The prize: a plane ticket to Hawaii to document a week on the North Shore this season. We’ll take care of room, board and some athletes to document. Whatever creative awesomeness you come up with will be published online and in the magazine.